Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Winter Time Inspiration: Carly's IM World Champs RR

Ironman World Championship, October 13, 2012

Training for another ironman 12 weeks after Lake Placid was more mentally tough than physically. There were days I was motivated and other days I just wanted to skip the workout and crawl into bed. With a little help from my friends and coach, I got through it. Ironman is mental game, our brain constantly trying to impose limits. I was ready to reach beyond those limits and compete in the World Championship with only 1 ironman under my belt. I wasn't going to skip a workout because I was tried, I wasn't going to give up. I also wasn't going to allow myself to slack off in my day to day duties as a mother and at my part-time job. It was a huge balancing act.

I arrived in Kona 6 days before the race so I could adjust to the 6 hour time change. I booked the trip with Endurance Sports Travel (EST) which was absolutely amazing. They made the trip so enjoyable and helpful for all of us. I met a lot of great athletes and had opportunities to preview some of the course before the race.

Race Day: 

Normal wake up at 3:30 am, only difference in my race morning routine this time I was able to give shout to my friends in NY. This got me pumped and ready to enjoy the day. One of the girls I met, also traveling with EST, had done Kona a couple times so she knew exactly where to go in the morning and which bathroom had the shortest line. Walking around transition was unreal. Passing by Crowie and wishing him luck, and seeing all the amazing athletes made this experience epic. Then looking beyond transition, the cameras, crowds of people, helicopters over head, it definitely was a celebrity moment.



Swim:

After the pros started, the crowd of age-groupers lined up to pass over the timing mat. I was hesitant to enter the water knowing I would have to tread water for about 10 minutes. My friend, Sandy, suggested that we swim out to the left and hang on to one of the kayaks. It turned out to be a 6 man canoe and I was able to get a spot right in the front after repositioning several times. Next thing I knew I saw people swimming, no cannon, no loud noise so I just went. I wish I could say that only the beginning was like a washing machine but it wasn't until the turn around where things started to thin out. When I would occasionally sight, I could see that I was positioned in the middle and I always made sure I was trailing behind someone. The conditions were rough, just as they had been for a couple of days leading up to the race. I could feel my body ride the waves and almost every other breath was a face filled with water, just hoping the next one would be a full breath. Done in 1:15

Bike: 

Onto my favorite leg. Once I exited transition, the crowd was about 5 people deep. I hear an announcer, "Carly Johnson from Yorktown Heights, NY." I gave a cheer and a fist pump, absorbing the energy from the crowd. The first couple miles were a little out and back through town, then I was out on the Queen K Highway for the rest of the 100+ miles. At around mile 20 it started, those notorious winds that I kept hearing about. They were coming at me sideways, preventing me from riding aero. As I passed though a water station, a guy in front of me completely toppled over from the wind. This was happening way too early. I could also start feeling the heat radiating off the lava rock and sun beating down on my shoulders. Once I reached Hapuna Beach, the wind died down a bit. It wasn't until mile 50 where I started getting a headwind on the climb to Hawi, and then again the last 20-30 miles. Through the wind, I just had to make sure my heart rate and power was where it needed to be. The last 20 miles of the bike I felt like I was done. A guy next to me, coming back into town, asked if I was ready to run a marathon. I wanted nothing more than to start crying. I did not want to run a marathon, not even a mile. But....I wasn't going to give up. I got my run gear and headed out. Bike done in 6 hours flat.

Run: 

From the first to the last step, it hurt. It wasn't an injury hurt, just a tired leg hurt which I experience many nights waitressing after a long day of training. It was all too familiar. I just had to suck it up and keep moving.

I was hot too...suck it up and keep moving.

Mile 10 I saw my family which got me pumped up. It was a different feeling from Lake Placid. I was out there playing with the big boys, which was amazing, but I missed seeing my friends, who would normally be there to give me a high five or exchange a quick hello. I hit mile 20 and I knew this is when the race starts, it was time to pick it up aside from all the aches and pains. As I entered town, the people lined the streets. I could hear Mike Riley echoing through the streets. The end was almost here. I just had to keep it together and not start balling down the shoot. I rounded the corner for the last stretch. It was the most amazing feeling as I was running down the ironman carpet at the World Championship. I fist pumped and cheered with the crowd. 11:18 and I crossed that finish line.

Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think this would happen. In 2009, I did my first triathlon with a borrowed bike and wetsuit and no swimming background. A year later, completed my first Olympic and half. Then last year getting the crazy idea to do an ironman. Barefoot and pregnant, changing diapers and chasing two kids to completing the Ironman World Championship all in 5 years. Hmmm...what's next?

No comments:

Post a Comment