Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Featured Athlete Carly Cooper-Johnson Update

Carly has put in a lot of effort to achieve her goal at Ironman Lake Placid. She has several great races because of it.

Below are her race reports from American Zofingen Middle Course and this past weekends Eagleman 70.3.

Erica Ruge and Carly Cooper-Johnson @ 2012 American Zofingen

American Zofigen-middle distance (trail run 5, bike 29, trail run 5, bike 29, trail run 5), May 20, 2012

There was much anxiety preparing for the American Zofigen as preliminary practice didn't go as planned. Back in March, Bikeway team members, Erica Ruge, Tim Schopen and I did the bike loop as a training ride. Little did I know how long and steep the back side of the mountain was so unfortunately my heartrate got too high and I had to walk up to the crest. It was my mission to get up that hill. A couple weeks later, a group of us did the loop again and there was success, I made it to the top.

My coach, Cliff Scherb, laid out how to approach each leg of the race with heart rate and bike power zones. This race was a training race, there was no taper and my goal was to build strength for a long period of time. The race was hilly which prepared me for the hills in IM Lake Placid (same elavation on the bike) and the day was hot which will prepare me for the heat in Maryland for Eagleman 70.3 on June 10th. Nutrition would also be a huge factor since I expected the race taking more than 6 hours. I fueled wit Carbo Pro/Hammer Fizz on the bike (400 calories each bike leg) and had a banana on the second run. The banana did ok in my stomach but I need to work on better nutrition on my runs.

I am not an expericenced trail runner and this aspect was definitely a challenge for me. I rolled my ankle seveal times and tripped on the first run leg which scrapped up my leg and I got a quite dirty. The hills were so steep, I just had to walk up them. The bike was fun. I loved the challange of the hills and had a chance to chat with some people going up them. Getting on the bike the second time was not as fun. It started getting hot and the bike course was not as shaded as the run. Quads were starting to burn but still enjoyed being on the bike. People were not so friendly this time around. Once I started the run, I knew that in 50 minutes and it would be over. I was fatigued in transitions as the sun was beating down but once I got on the trail, in the shade, my energy was restored. Last 1/4 mile I was following someone out of the woods. Once we got on the carriage trail there was a huge black snake that his foot came so close to steping on. I let out a big screech and darted my way out of the wildlife and to the finish.

I came in 2nd female, 17th overall for the middle course with a time of 6:13. I finished strong and recovered well, mission accomplished. What was even greater than seeing the finish line, was seeing the two kegs of beer and table of food steps from the timing mat. This was a great race and definately a must do for next year.

Carly Cooper-Johnson post race @ Eagleman 70.3

Eagleman 70.3, June 10, Cambridge, MD

Race start for the 30-34 females, 8th wave as at 7:42.  I woke up at 4:45, had some coffee, coconut water and cream of rice and I was off to the race.

I got to the race at 5:50, body marked, set up transition then it was time to head over to the start. The weather had been warm recently, and in previous few years for this event the water temp was above 76.1, so I thought for sure this would be a no wetsuit swim.  however, I lucked out and temp was 75, so I wore my sleeveless wetsuit. The high for the day was 93 degrees.

The swim was a floating start, which I prefer. The mad dash to the water always seems to cause a bit of anxiety for me. I started out on the far side of the starting line, away from the cluster of women in my wave. I was in straight line for the 2nd buoy and tried to stay behind someone faster then me. It was 275 yards to the first buoy so I swam hard to that point then focused on staying long and strong until the end.  Out of the water my watch read 32 minutes. I was happy, that's a pretty  consistent swim time for me.

On to the bike, where I had 3 bottles with 250 calories of carbo pro in each mixed with a nuun or a Hammer fizz. My goal was to finish a bottle in 45 min, which I kept on target. At 2 of the water stations, I grabbed water, squirted it on my legs and neck to cool me down then drank the rest. I was feeling great, so great I let out a couple tears of excitement. All along  I had my Garmin 910 turned toward the inside of my wrist. At mile 44, I accidentally hit lap and it started timing my T2 time. At this point I could only go by RPE. I continued to feel great right back to transition.

The first mile of the run I wasn't feeling so hot. I could feel all the fluids in my stomach moving around. After mile 1, I was able to have some relief and started feeling great. At the turn around I pasted 2 women in my AG and started getting emotional again. I drank water at every station and poured ice every where I possibly could. Mile 10, I passes the next woman in my AG. Last mile or so I had enough to empty the tank and pick up the pace and finish strong. Once I passed the finish I had no idea what my time was.  I checked my Garmin and saw 4:52. The tears were pouring. A PR by 23 minutes. It was a flat and fast course but hot and windy. I was so happy! I placed 4th in my AG and 25th woman overall.

No comments:

Post a Comment