Thursday, April 5, 2012

New Race Team Member Matt Stellwagen's San Juan 70.3 RR



Ironman 70.3 San Juan, March 18, 2012
Ironman 70.3 San Juan felt like a true destination race with athletes from all over the world and the people of San Juan really rallied behind this race with closed roads for the course and lots of hospitality. This was my first trip to Puerto Rico and the first thing I noticed when stepping off the plane was the heat! It was a welcoming feeling given I was in several layers a week earlier during a training ride but would prove to be a challenge this early in the season for those of us from colder climates. I checked into the host hotel (Hilton Caribe) on Friday which was a short 15 minute ride from the airport. The logistics of the race were very easy to navigate from the host hotel, everything was in walking distance. There is really no need to rent a car unless you want to venture out and explore different sections of San Juan.
 
Race Morning/Swim-
My wave start was not until 7:50 which made for a long race moring... ample time to get the nerves going! After setting up in transition I went back to my hotel room and relaxed for a 1/2 hour before making my way to the swim start. The salt water swim was in a protected area which was mostly calm, however given the high water temp it was not wetsuit legal. I am not the fastest swimmer and usually like to start in the middle of the pack. There were about 75 guys in my wave and I notices most were waiting on the beach as the volunteers ushered us into the water. Seeing this I decided to start towards the front to avoid getting in the mix of athletes swimming on top of each other. I was happy I did this as it lead to an uneventful swim with little to no contact.

Swim time- 34:45

T1- 5:51 (.4 mile run between swim exit and T1)
 
Bike-
After a few gulps of salt water in the swim I let my stomach settle for the first 20 minutes before eating or drinking anything. I knew my nutrition plan would prove to be most important today as the temps were pushing 80 degrees at 9am without a cloud in the sky. I also made it a point to take an extra bottle of water at each aid station and drench myself to keep my core temp as stable as possible. The bike course is relatively flat. The course can best be described as a lolipop- it takes you along a highway for about 10 miles then you turn onto a road that runs along the coast, very scenic. You do two out-and-backs on the road along the coast, and then retrace the initial 10-mile route into transition.Those of us with later start times were warned of the increased head winds on the return, and they weren't kidding. After a 23mph pace on the first section I knew I was dropping down to below 20mph on the return. A guy pulled up next to me around mile 45 and mumbled something but all I heared was the howling wind. Thanks to Bikeway my bike fit felt perfect! Doug had rebuilt my Specialized Transition this winter with a new front end, including Zipp Vuka carbon bars, extension and Zipp return-to-center shifters. The ride was incredibly smooth and I felt more comfortable and lighter than last season. Aside from several pot holes and navigating a few dead iguanas in the roads I enjoyed the bike course, great volunteers and crowd support!
 
Bike Time- 2:43:21
T2 - 3:04
 
Run-
Out of all the 70.3s I have done this was by far the nicest run course. IM California 70.3 is a close second but in San Juan you get to run through historic Old San Juan and along the ocean to amazing crowd support. Its one big party and it was really cool to see the people of Puerto Rico support the athletes. On the flip side this is a rolling course with two big hills to contend with and temps were pushing 95 degrees at this point. Its also two loops so just as you get through that second hill you remember you have to come back and do it again! After you enter Old San Juan there is an out and back section along the coast on a pathway with a rock wall on one side and the water on the other. Very scenic but you are totally exposed to the sun. Luckily fans were scattered throughout the course hosing athletes down. As you come into the last 1/2 mile the crowds start increasing even more and the cheers really motivate you to an amazing finish with palm trees and the Atlantic ocean as a backdrop.
 
Total Run Time- 2:01:26
Finish Time- 5:28:27
 
Pros
Great venue
Scenic course, palm trees and the ocean at the finish for a race in March.. What could be better?!
Possibility of fast bike splits
Well run race with great crowd support
Logistics are easy- From the airport it's a 15 minute cab ride to the host hotel with eveything is in walking distance
A trip to San Juan does not require a passport or a trip through customs

Cons
Be ready for the heat!
Expo is nothing special with very few last minute essentials
The run course is challenging.. but it's a fun adventure though Old San Juan  

Matt Stellwagen

No comments:

Post a Comment